Look inside the book:
Front & Back Cover
Sample Hike Chapter
“Andrew Slade put a lot of legwork into this very useful book, mapping, photographing and describing each of his selections, and the result is an instant classic.”
MidwestWeekends.com travel guide
“The North Shore is the outdoor recreation gem of the Midwest...and hiking is the best way to experience this region's treasures. Hiking the North Shore is an excellent resource to guide your way.”
Andrew Skurka, adventure guide & speaker
Hiking the North Shore
50 fabulous day hikes in Minnesota's spectacular Lake Superior region
By Andrew Slade
Get into Minnesota’s most rugged and scenic wild places. From Duluth to Grand Portage, discover magnificent trails that wind through:
- 8 state parks
- The Superior National Forest
- The Superior Hiking Trail
- …even hikes into the BWCA!
Naturalist and North Shore expert Andrew Slade scouted out over 300 miles of trails along inland ridges and Lake Superior shoreline for this indispensable guide. Grab your boots and go!
Those new to Minnesota’s North Shore, as well as experienced hikers in Lake Superior country, will find Hiking the North Shore the most comprehensive resource around—Andrew hiked every trail, checked out every overlook, and visited every waterfall so you can plan a perfect day’s hike.
Includes the best of the Superior Hiking Trail
Find recommendations for short and easy hikes that will quickly plunge you into a true North Shore experience, as well as longer, more challenging hikes that will take you to the highest points in Minnesota, unusual geological formations, and old-growth forests. Hiking the North Shore will encourage and inspire hikers of all skill levels to get out and explore these beautiful routes. What are you waiting for?
Everything you need is inside this book:
- Details on day hikes ranging from 2 miles to 12 miles
- Driving directions
- Maps of each hike, including GPS coordinates
- Time estimates for every hike
- A full range of hikes—trails perfect for families with young kids, challenges for hard-core adventure seekers, and moderate hikes for everyone in between
- Information on facilities, permit requirements and helpful websites
- Tips for finding shortcuts and navigating tricky trail crossings
- Suggestions for timing your hike for spring wildflowers, summer berries or fall colors
- Tips for planning round trip and shuttle hikes
- Fascinating lore about flora, fauna, geology and history
- Recommendations for kicking back after your hike, including nearby restaurants, lodging, camping, museums
- And much more!
Gear up for the best hiking in the Midwest!